Rock Creek Woods Civic Association
Rock Creek Woods Civic Association (RCWCA) is registered with Maryland National Capital Park & Planning Commission as a neighborhood civic association. This liaison allows our neighborhood to benefit from county resources and obtain prompt responses to neighborhood concerns. Meetings of the whole neighborhood are held at least once a year.
Our civic association is organized to: • Build community • Share resources • Coordinate support for emergency weather situations • Care for our natural surroundings — our street cherry trees, the “black path”, Nancy’s Garden, and the creek • and Celebrate our historic neighborhood.
Our Rock Creek Woods Civic Association activities have included:
- Welcoming new neighbors
- Meeting with the region’s Post Office officials about delivery issues
- Meeting with Pepco top officials re: power outages, communication issues, and tree trimming
- Testifying on proposed development in Kensington
- Forming an environmental garden club
- Winning recognition on the National History Register of Places; which includes a 20% tax credit for work on our houses that maintains the integrity of the original design (including replacing windows with the original frame to glass ratio)
- 50th Anniversary Book
- Digitizing Library of Congress fragile, archival drawings of our houses
- House Tours open to neighbors and their friends and families
- Refurbishing and lighting our neighborhood sign
- Black Path spring clean up
- Annual Labor Day Picnic
- Biannual Election of Officers
- Halloween Party for kids of all ages
- Website, newsletter, neighborhood listserv, and RCWCA email communication
We meet at least once a year and all are welcome to attend. Meetings are announced by email.
There are various means of communicating with neighbors. • The RCWCA Board uses blind cc “push only” emails to alert neighbors to community business. • There is a yahoo group listserv. It is a venue for all kinds of information-sharing among neighbors. Joining requires an invitation from an administrator. Contact Lester LaForce at email@example.com. • Our RCW Website http://rockcreekwoods.org is a great resource. We hope you will peruse its many pages. It includes a password-protected directory of names, addresses, and phone numbers. RCW neighbors use the directory with respect and care. It is not meant for commercial purposes. Each neighbor can choose what is listed and changes can be made by alerting the Webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org. • We publish a newsletter several times a year.
In 2009, we celebrated the 50th anniversary of Rock Creek Woods with a weekend of wonderful events. We produced a book with information about our architect, Charles Goodman; our homes; the development of the neighborhood; and about each of the families that currently lived here. We have color copies for sale at cost.
The annual Labor Day Picnic is a shared community event, hosted by the newest neighbors. Everyone is invited to bring a potluck dish, tables and chairs to the intersection of Spruell and Ingersol at 5pm.
There is a book club, a lunch group, movie nights, and occasional Shabbat potluck dinners.
We have talented residents who offer yoga lessons, massage therapy, interior design, and babysitting.
As you can tell, we think this is a great place to live!